STETHS to skip Gibson McCook Relays

first_imgWhen the 41st staging of the Gibson McCook Relays gets under way this Saturday inside the National Stadium, new champions will be crowned in the high school boys Open 4x400m and 4x800m relays as defending champions in both events, St Elizabeth Technical (STETHS) will not be attending the meet. The female team, which finished a close second in the Open 4x400m behind Holmwood ,is also out of the meet. Coach Reynaldo Walcott told The STAR that he will be using the break to give his athletes more time to recover and recuperate after last week’s Western Championships. “The Gibson McCook Relays is a prestigious meet on the athletics calendar, but after competing at the Western Championships last Saturday our athletes are fatigued and worn out and definitely need some time to recuperate. Both meets are too close. We definitely have to make a decision like this,” said Walcott, who believes that there are too many back-to-back meets heading into Champs. “We do take the Western Championships very seriously, and it has become more competitive as several of the schools have stepped up big time, and we do not have the numbers like a Kingston College, Calabar, Edwin Allen and Hydel as it is the same athletes, who are competing at these meets. My boys’ squad only has about 30 athletes and we have to prioritise, as following Gibson McCook, there is Carifta Trials, Digicel Grand Prix, and the ISSA-GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships, and the Western Championships really took a toll on our athletes,” said Walcott. “Naturally, they (athletes) would be disappointed, but they all understood and had no problem with the decision,” Walcott added. Principal of the institute, Keith Wellington, who is also vice-president at ISSA, backed his coach’s decision. “The decision taken is a coaching one as the coach is the technical person and he knows best, and I have no reason not to support him. With so many meets leading to Champs, the decision is to prioritise,” Wellington said. STETHS last year recorded two close victories over St Jago, and fans were anticipating another exciting duel this year with the likes of Kingston College, Calabar, Jamaica College and Petersfield added to the mix in both events. Following their win at the Western Relays in the 4x400m in 3:13.72, they were the top seed in this event going into Gibson, while their second-place time of 7:42.95 behind Kingston College at the Milo Western Relays in the 4x800m event had them as the second seed in this event.last_img read more

Ebola Deaths Now Over 7,000, Cases Over 19,000, WHO Data Reports

first_imgDeaths from the Ebola outbreak are now over 7,000, according to the latest World Health Organization data.Time reported that the most hit by the deaths from the virus is Sierra Leone.The WHO data showed that there are 7,373 deaths as of Friday posting.The Guardian reported that UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon was in Sierra Leone Friday.He is optimistic that the disease is slowing down”We have a long way to go. Zero cases in Liberia, and this entire region, must be everyone’s goal,” he was quoted as saying. Ban also was in Liberia where it is now Ebola-free.The total number of cases in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia is now 19,031.Up from 18,569.Guinea and Sierra Leone are also taking measures to prevent transmission by imposing bans on new year’s eve celebrations such as “fireworks displays and beach gatherings,” according to The Guardian.The WHO website said the Ebola virus causes an acute, serious illness which is often fatal if untreated.It added that Ebola virus disease (EVD) first appeared in 1976 in 2 simultaneous outbreaks, one in Nzara, Sudan, and the other in Yambuku, Democratic Republic of Congo.However, the outbreak in March this year is the largest with more cases and deaths since it was discovered in 1976.”The most severely affected countries, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia have very weak health systems, lacking human and infrastructural resources, having only recently emerged from long periods of conflict and instability. On August 8, the WHO Director-General declared this outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern,” the website added.WHO stated that humans are not infectious until they develop symptoms. First symptoms are the sudden onset of fever fatigue, muscle pain, headache and sore throat. Vomiting, diarrhea, rash, symptoms of impaired kidney and liver function follow this.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

NPSS Grizzlies to be back in action this coming weekend

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – All of the sports teams had the week off of competition to enjoy a restful Thanksgiving weekend.The senior boys, senior girls and junior girls volleyball teams are in Dawson Creek on Friday and Saturday this weekend, October 18 and 19. The Senior Girls will open the tournament against DCSS at 1:30 p.m. on Friday.Jordynn McPherson, Tristan Hynes and Carter Collins will represent North Peace at the NCD Cross Country Zone Championship race in Dawson at the Bear Mountain Ski trails on October 19. Jordynn races at 10:30 a.m. Tristan and Carter race at 11:15 a.m.- Advertisement –last_img

Video: New Leicester signing Esteban Cambiasso’s best bits

first_imgWatch new Foxes star Esteban Cambiasso in action for Inter Milan and Argentina.last_img

Arsenal star Welbeck fit to face Manchester United

first_imgArsenal striker Danny Welbeck is fit to face former club Manchester United on Saturday.The 23-year-old was an injury doubt, after picking up a knock during England’s 3-1 victory over Scotland at Celtic Park, but will be available for selection.The clash at the Emirates is the first time Welbeck has had to face his former side, and Louis van Gaal’s comments will be ringing in his eyes.Following the forward’s departure last summer, the Dutchman claimed the Three Lions star was not up to the standard required at Old Trafford.It appears there won’t be much need for any pre-match motivation at the Emirates on Saturday night.You can listen to live exclusive national radio commentary of Arsenal v Manchester United from 5:30pm only on talkSPORT 1 Danny Welbeck in action for England last_img read more

West Brom close to completing loan deal for Brazilian midfielder

first_img1 Sandro in action for QPR Tony Pulis has confirmed West Brom are working on a deal for QPR midfielder Sandro.The Baggies have made an offer to take the Brazilian on loan, with a view to a permanent transfer.“We’re interested in Sandro but nothing’s been done yet so that’s ongoing,” said Pulis.“Whether we can do a deal or not we’ll have to wait and see. We’re working on it if we can get a deal done we’ll get a deal done.”It is understood that QPR have already accepted the proposal for Sandro and West Brom are hopeful of completing the deal on Friday.That would mean Sandro being available for Saturday’s FA Cup game with Peterborough.Sandro has made 11 appearances for Rangers this season but has not played for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s side in 2016.last_img

Barcelona star Lionel Messi wins La Liga player of the month – for the FIRST time!

first_img Lionel Messi 1 Lionel Messi has been named Spain’s La Liga player of the month for January – the first time he has won the award.The award has been given out since the beginning of the 2013-14 Primera Division season, but the five-time FIFA Ballon d’Or winner had not won it until now.The Barcelona forward finally won the award at the 23rd time of asking after scoring six goals in as many league games in January.The 28-year-old struck a hat-trick against Granada as well as scoring in victories over Athletic Bilbao, Malaga and Atletico Madrid to take his total of league goals for the season to 12.Messi is only the second Barcelona player to win the award following Neymar’s success in November.Cristiano Ronaldo has won the award twice since it began in September 2013, as have Atletico pair Diego Godin and Antoine Griezmann and Real Sociedad striker Carlos Vela.last_img read more

Classical music returns to Lettermacaward this Saturday

first_imgBEAUTIFUL classical music returns to Lettermacaward this Saturday.For the past two years there has been overwhelming support for the classical concerts held in the picturesque Church of Ireland in Lettermacaward.“We are therefore very proud to announce a third concert featuring the Donegal Chamber Orchestra, directed by Victor Yelamo,” said a spokeswoman for the Gweebarra Community Association. “With music by Bizet, Massenet, Piazolla and many more, the orchestra, with string players of all ages and from across the county, will enchant you. You will be transported into the magical world of classical music. We can promise you an hour of wonderful music, some you will know, other pieces may be new to you.”This Saturday’s concert (May 26) starts at 8pm.Donegal Chamber Orchestra was founded in 2006 by Hungarian violinist Orsolya Szabo-Yelamo and Spanish cellist Victor Yelamo.Light refreshments will be served at Elliott’s Lounge after the concert where light refreshments will be served. Admission at the door is €10. For further information please contact Angela on 07495 44341/0862727502 or Carolyn on 07495 44823/0877873415. Classical music returns to Lettermacaward this Saturday was last modified: May 22nd, 2018 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Church of Irelanddonegal chamber orchestraLettermacawardlast_img read more

GAA NEWS: GAEIL FHANADA U14 BOYS OFF TO ALL-IRELAND FEILE

first_imgGaeil Fhánada Lotto ResultsNo Jackpot winner. Nos drawn were 06, 11, 14, 19, 20. B 16. €100 Susan Peoples, Kerrykeel. €50 Joe Reilly, Ballymagowan. Next week’s jackpot is €3,000. If you’re not in you can’t win!Ádh mór – U14 Féile GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF OUR 14 BOYS AND THEIR MANAGEMENT TEAM, WHO ALONG WITH SEAN MACCUMHAILLS ARE OFF TO REPRESENT THE COUNTY AT THE ALL IRELAND FEILE COMPETITION IN ROSCOMMON THIS WEEKEND . SAFE JOURNEY TO EVERYONE TRAVELLING DOWN TO SUPPORT THIS YOUNG TEAM.Thanks to Kevin Cassidy for coming over to take a session with the u14s last week. A huge thanks to Pat Sweeney, Portsalon for sourcing new bags for the U14 team that travel to Feile at the weekend. Thanks to everyone who helped out and contributed to the recent bucket collection in Kerrykeel for the U14s Feile fund.Senior League Div 2 Round 12 Gleann Fhinne v Gaeil Fhánada in Glenfin at 3:00 p.m. Referee Connie DohertySenior Reserve League Div 2 Round 12Gleann Fhinne v Gaeil Fhánada at 1:30 p.m. Referee: Mark BrownU10 Blitz ReportWe hosted the U10 blitz in Portsalon on Friday evening, June 20th. Teams taking part were Fanad Gaels, Downings and Termon. It was a beautiful evening for football, and all there were treated to plenty exciting close games. Our U10 Boys team played two very good games against our neighbours Downings and Termon, drawing with the Downings boys and beating Termon in a tight game. Our U9 Boys team had two games, again drawing with Downings and Termon, with some lovely football played by all the teams. The U10 Girls team played one game v Termon and this talented group played really well and won their game with very good displays all around the pitch.Thanks to all the coaches from the three clubs who encouraged all the boys and girls who took part in the blitz, great to see!! Thanks to all the parents who provided the refreshments and to the parents who served the teas and refreshments. A massive thanks to our referees Ronan McAteer, Shaun Coyle, Niall Carr and Michael Blaney. Thanks to Martin McAteer, Oisin Shiels and Odhran Shiels who set up the pitches for the blitz. NEXT U10 BLITZ ON SAT, 5TH OF JULY.U8 BlitzNEXT SAT, 28TH JUNE IN ROBERT EMMENTS (CASTLEFIN).Martin will be in touch with all the parents of the U8’s during the week re: arrangements. (Will probably be a bus going to this blitz) Underage TrainingTraining as usual for U6 and U10’s on Friday evening @6pm in Portsalon.County Player For Gaeil Fhánada GAA CÚL CAMPMeet and greet a county player in the run up to the Ulster Championship final on July 20th.• Camps are structured so that a different aspect of the game is worked on each day.• The programme involves coaching specific skills of the game and the opportunity for children to put into practice what they have learned through small sided games.• On the last day of the camp a blitz will be organised to provide each child with an introduction to competitive games.Kelloggs GAA Cúl Camps – are run throughout the summer from Monday to Friday, 10.00am to 2.30pm, in all 32 Counties and overseas. Gaeil Fhánada will host a Kellogg’s Cúl Camp from Monday 14th to Friday 18th July.The cost of the camp includes your Cúl Camp gear of jersey, shorts and socks. This year the bag which accompanies the gear will be in the Donegal colours. Attendance is open to primary school children aged 6 years to 13 years.What To Bring• Packed lunch + drink• Hurley and Helmet for Huurling and Camogie• Mouthguard for Football• Suitable playing gear, tracksuit, shorts, runners, boots• Rain jacket and changes of gear on wet days• Sun cream and baseball hat• Towel• WaterCOST: €55 for 1st. child; €45 for 2nd child; €40 for 3rd and subsequent children.GAA NEWS: GAEIL FHANADA U14 BOYS OFF TO ALL-IRELAND FEILE was last modified: June 24th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:GAEIL FHANADA GAA NOTESlast_img read more

San Dimas has giant effort in win over Ganesha

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! POMONA – The San Dimas Saints ran all over the Ganesha Giants friday night with an impressive 52-0 victory at Ganesha High School. The Saints’ running game was the key to seven of their eight touchdowns; centering around running backs Ryan Richard and Aaron Lindquist, who ran at will against a frustrated Ganesha defense. Jacob Borzilieri also added several crucial runs to the outside, while Bronze Withem put in a good effort late in the game. San Dimas head coach Bill Zernickow liked his team’s effort. center_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week “We wanted to make sure we didn’t have a letdown after last week, and we didn’t,” Zernickow said. The Saints dominated every phase of the game. Their defense silenced Ganesha’s speedy running back Desmond Hayward, holding him to only 59 yards. With the victory, San Dimas takes a two-game winning streak against Covina next friday. “Next week is a big game, and we’re going to have to focus hard (in practice),” Zernickow added. The Saints focus may be tested this coming week, but they will have the confidence of being unbeaten in league play on thier side. last_img read more