Veteran sprinter Kim Collins is aiming to set records should he qualify to represent St Kitts at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this summer.Should he make the team, it would be his sixth Olympic Games, but that is not the record he is aiming for.Collins says he would be going to Rio to do something no other man his age has ever done.The sprinter turns 40 years old in April, and has for the past few years defied time and convention by running faster as he has aged. In 2014 at age 38, Collins who is based in Jamaica, ran a personal best and age group record for men 35 and over, 9.96 seconds in London, almost a full tenth of a second faster than the 10.07 seconds he ran to win World Championship gold in Paris, France 13 years ago. In Rio, he wants to be faster.”I think it would be an amazing achievement to just have been to six Olympics,” said Collins. “First of all, I want to make the team, but for me personally I am looking to run under 10 at 40. That is my main goal and then whatever else happens, if I go out in the first round or whatever I would be happy with that because not everybody can hold up as a sprinter.”The 13-year-old age-group record for 40-year-old men is 10.29 seconds and is held by Troy Douglas of The Netherlands.CUTTING BACKTo ensure that his body holds up this year, Collins, who is coached by his Jamaican wife, Paula plans to cut back on his indoor season.”Last year, I had nine races. This year, we will have five including Dusseldorf, Berlin, Karlsruhe, Stockholm and Glasgow and then World Indoors,” he said.With the reduced schedule, Collins believes he will have enough left in the tank for that big push towards his goal for Rio.”I think I have it in me, based on where I am now I think I can go,” said Collins, who explained that he believed he could have achieved that goal in Beijing at the IAAF World Champions last August. “I got a little distracted after indoors last year and it threw everything off and I lost focus.”He concluded that at his age he is not trying to keep pace with the younger generation.”I am not trying to keep up with them. I am trying to run wey lef’ dem,” he said with a laugh.
Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award The metropolitan government now faces little margin for error in managing the situation, as long delays in facility construction are unacceptable due to the period of preparation required for the Games.The Japan News/Asia News NetworkA senior metropolitan government official expressed concern, referring to a scandal that emerged on Oct. 16 in which KYB Corp., a major oil damper maker in Minato Ward, Tokyo, and its subsidiary falsified test data for seismic isolation and vibration control dampers.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“With the tight construction schedule, it’s a totally unexpected situation for us,” the official said. “We must immediately take measures to deal with the problem.”A total of 32 dampers that may not meet government standards have already been installed at the Olympic Aquatics Center in Koto Ward, Tokyo, which will host swimming events for the Games. The dampers may need to be replaced if future inspections confirm test data for the devices was fabricated. LATEST STORIES MOST READ Resumption of construction stalledMeanwhile, Ariake Tennis Park in Koto Ward, Tokyo, which will host tennis and wheelchair tennis events, has been affected by the collapse of a contractor overseeing its renovation.M-Tec Co., a Saitama-based construction company, undertook a roughly ¥1.6 billion joint venture project to convert the park into Olympic and Paralympic venues, including the construction of 17 outdoor tennis courts and installation of lighting. It began work on the project in October last year.According to the metropolitan government and others, however, M-Tec filed for bankruptcy protection from creditors under the Civil Rehabilitation Law with the Tokyo District Court on Oct. 1. However, it then went through bankruptcy proceedings as it was unable to find supporting companies. The renovation work has been suspended since Oct. 1.The renovation was initially scheduled to be completed in late July next year. The Japan Open Tennis Championships, an international competition, and the All Japan Tennis Championships are scheduled to be held at the venue in autumn of next year, with the latter billed as a test event for the 2020 Games.“It will become an international problem if those events are affected,” said a Japan Tennis Association official who met with the metropolitan government on Friday. “I asked [the metropolitan government] to absolutely avoid delays [in the renovation work].”The metropolitan government plans to select a new contractor through rebidding and other means, seeking to resume the project as quickly as possible.According to a metropolitan government official, however, work cannot be restarted due to an asset protection order from the Tokyo District Court that bans the removal of construction and other materials from the site.“We want to resume construction as soon as possible, but we’re jammed because there’s no timeline for when the order will be lifted,” a metropolitan government official said. Lee, Cansino lead UST over UE Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil The Japan News/Asia News NetworkTOKYO — The construction of facilities for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics has run into trouble following the emergence of unexpected difficulties this month.The Tokyo metropolitan government is in a bind over how to address the problems, which include the collapse of a contractor renovating a tennis facility and revelations that seismic isolation and vibration control devices for a swimming pool facility may not meet government standards.ADVERTISEMENT Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The metropolitan government is urging KYB to conduct safety inspections on the dampers as soon as possible, but the inspection schedule and how to implement the checks have yet to be decided.The metropolitan government plans to conduct its own safety inspections with a third-party organization present.“Even if the maker responsible for the data falsification told us [the dampers] are safe, we can’t trust them,” a senior metropolitan government official said. “We cannot waste even a single day.”Completion of the Olympic Aquatics Center was previously expected to be postponed from an initial date of December 2019 to February 2020 to clean up soil found to be contaminated during construction.Among the metropolitan government’s newly constructed facilities, the Olympic Aquatics Center is set to be the last to be completed. As a result, the metropolitan government and a contractor are discussing how to replace the dampers in question without affecting the completion date.ADVERTISEMENT Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? View comments