Ncondezi Energy delays planned 300MW coal plant in Mozambique FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Platts:Progress on the development of Ncondezi Energy’s flagship 300 MW coal-fired power project and coal mine in Tete, Mozambique, has been delayed, the African power developer said.The delay came after discussions with state power company Electricidade de Mocambique (EDM) indicated that available technical and market assumptions for a tariff agreement, which were initially submitted March 31, were out of date.The company said an updated transmission integration study and Mozambican power market outlook study had been commissioned, and were targeted for completion in the third quarter of 2020. Allowing for the completion of those independent studies, Ncondezi said the tariff agreement was now expected to be finalized in the second half of the year.“Based on this, the company has submitted an updated work program to EDM for review and will provide a more detailed timetable update to investors at the appropriate time,” Ncondezi Energy said.“Since the submission of a formal tariff offer earlier this year, the company has worked closely with EDM to discuss and agree the pathway to progress the project,” said CEO Hanno Pengilly. “With EDM’s guidance, the company has agreed to update its transmission integration study as well as conduct an independent market study for energy supply and demand forecasts in Mozambique and potential export markets.”Pengilly said the results of those studies should verify certain technical assumptions, and provide greater certainty around the business case for the project alongside the tariff proposal, facilitating negotiations on the project tariff. The results are also expected to be a key requirement from potential project lenders and investors.[Sarah Matthews]More: Ncondezi Energy delays flagship Mozambique coal power project
Tweet 23 Views one comment Caribbean Telecommunication Union’s Secretary General Ms. Bernadette LewisAs technology continues to brings many good things to our lives; better health care, more convenience and sometimes extra time to do something else, technology also can cause more stress for being connected to work and family all the time and also many distractions that get us in trouble or hurt. Whether this is a fact or not, many argue that technology has taken over the world since it has already seeped its way into many of the very core areas of society. Today’s society is highly technologically centric and there is little which hasn’t been touched by automation or other technological progression.General Secretary of the Caribbean Telecommunications Union, Ms Bernadette Lewis has linked these changes in technology to the emergence of Information and Communication Technology (ICT).She told the second leg of the ICT Roadshow in Dominica that the ICT revolution in itself qualifies the rapid changes in technology that the world must be prepared to face, since it cannot be evaded.According to Ms. Lewis, today’s every-day life surrounds technology, from our children’s education to our nation’s development.“We have lost preferential markets for traditional agricultural products. Your competition these days isn’t ‘the man down the road’ but it might be somebody or an organization or another country halfway around the world. Have you noticed that your children exist in another world over which you have no control…we call it cyberspace. As a region, we in the Caribbean have been concerned with the slow pace of development and the struggle to be competitive. Is that as a result of anything that we have done? No, it isn’t. It is the world system imposing change on our world. And many of these changes that we are experiencing are directly related to the ICT revolution”.She cautioned Caribbean governments to learn to appreciate the level of connectivity that ITC brings and the ability to exchange information through its diverse mediums. This she believes will enable us to see the true potential of the ICT sector.Honourable Ambrose George holds up an ABC chart “So it is incumbent upon us that we pay close attention to ICT’s. Many countries have been able to advance their development by capitalizing on the potential of ICTs for social and economic development. But we in the Caribbean we have been investing heavily into technology but have not been able to leverage the potential to achieve the developmental gains on a scale like countries like Malta and Japan that have wholeheartedly embraced ICT. And I think that these countries understood that development does not begin with technology, it begins with the mind and the collective will of citizens who recognize that development is not something conferred but it is something that citizens and government must do for themselves.”The Caribbean Telecommunications Union has been working with Caribbean governments to successfully implement ICT sectors, which can be outsourced through various government departments. Ms Lewis said that ICT-enabled development in itself requires innovation and so governments should be refocus their energies, and look at ICT with ‘a different eye’. “We would have to identify the resources and activities that can contribute to our development. We would need to promote, formulate and implement the activities that advance our cause. We would have to discard many of the anachronistic systems and processes of the last century which have become obstacles in our path in this era. We would have to change mindsets and embrace the belief that we have the capacity to seize every opportunity presented by the ICT revolution to become more competitive to strengthen our economies and to enhance the quality of the life of our citizens”. The recent ICT thrust involves emphasis on the education of primary and secondary school students on ICTs, as they recognize the global changes to education. The CTU has collaborated with the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago to develop a chart called ‘The ABC of ICTs’, which targets the Early Childhood Education Department. Five hundred copies of the chart were presented to the Ministry of Education in Dominica for distribution at all preschools and primary schools on the island.The CTU believes that an educated workforce is critical in keeping aligned with the global technological changes.“But most importantly, we would have to educate our workforce; we would need to educate our citizens. We would have to ensure that our schools curriculum produces students with the necessary skills to capture the potential of ICT when they enter the workforce. But how can citizens know unless they are taught? How can they be taught, unless someone takes the time to teach them? The CTU has undertaken this task of teaching and exposing the citizens of the region through its ITC Road Show initiative to expose them to the transformative power of ICT and the terms that are relevant to their current environment”.Dominica Vibes News LocalNews Technological advancements taking over the world by: – January 17, 2012 Share Share Sharing is caring! Share
New Delhi: For Rohit Sharma, the New Year has given him plenty of joy. The Indian right-hander missed the Sydney Test against Australia as he had flown back home to welcome the birth of his baby daughter. On Thursday, Rohit shared an adorable post on his social media accounts and gave a glimpse of his new-born child with the caption, “Hello World! Let’s all have a great 2019”. Before leaving for India, Rohit had told in an interview to former Australia skipper Michael Clarke that he could not wait to become a father, saying it would be a moment that would change their lives. Rohit married Ritika Sajdeh in December 2015.Rohit, who did not contribute much in the Adelaide Test, scored a gritty fifty on a tough Melbourne wicket as India won the match by 137 runs to take an unassailable 2-1 lead in the series. With the win in Melbourne, India retained the Border-Gavaskar Trophy and are on course to become the first Asian side to register a Test series win in Australia. Rohit will be back with the Indian team on January 8 ahead of the three-match ODI series against Australia starting on January 12.Read More | Guptill enters special club, goes past 6000 ODI runs for New Zealand For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. The Indian batsman, who is a three-time IPL winner for Mumbai Indians and has captained the Indian cricket team to wins in the Asia Cup and in the Nidahas Trophy tri-series in Sri Lanka, holds several records in ODIs. He holds the record for the highest individual score in this format, blasting 264 against Sri Lanka in Kolkata in 2014. Rohit is the only batsman in history to hit three double centuries in ODIs, having smashed 209 and 208 against Australia and Sri Lanka in Bengaluru and Mohali respectively in 2013 and 2017.Read More | Here’s a special request for Virat Kohli: ‘Eat Kadaknath chicken’Rohit has been touted as a permanent captain in the near future and not as a stop-gap arrangement in Virat Kohli’s absence. When India won the Asia Cup in September 2018, Rohit was more positive of a leadership role in the near future. “We have just won so I will surely be ready (for captaincy). Whenever the opportunity comes, I will be ready,” Rohit said at that time.Following the three-match ODI series, India then embarks on a tour to New Zealand where they will play five ODIs and three Twenty20 Internationals. After that, a five-match ODI series is slated to be played against Australia at home following which the Indian Premier League will take place followed by the World Cup which will be played in England in 2019.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error LOS ANGELES >> It was almost like walking into a Yellowstone meadow and confronting a bison. With the crowd standing on behalf of the bison.“He’s a monster,” Ross Stripling said of his first-inning encounter with David Ortiz on Saturday. “He takes up the whole box. It was awesome, all the people cheering, but I couldn’t cherish it. I was out there trying to get him out.”Stripling is the rookie right-hander who has survived several false starts to join the Dodgers’ final laps of 2016. Ortiz, of course, is barreling into retirement like hardly any other baseball player ever has.The Dodgers had lost 9-0 on Friday. Now, the first two Red Sox got two singles in a four-pitch span. Stripling had survived a seven-pitch round with future batting champion Xander Bogaerts and struck him out. Later, in the clubhouse, Ellis said, “A lot of times people look at the eighth or ninth inning, but the first inning was the biggest one today.”We’re getting to the point where all these details matter. San Francisco somehow had its identity stolen during the All-Star break, along with its bat rack. The Dodgers, who were supposed to be lost at sea when Clayton Kershaw got hurt, are 20-13 since Kershaw last pitched (June 26). That got them to within two games of the Giants going into Saturday. They now have two paths to the playoffs and would prefer the one that doesn’t match them against, say, Miami’s Jose Fernandez in a one-shot wild-card situation.Stripling got through five innings. Grant Dayton, a 28-year-old pitching his first game in Dodger Stadium, blew away the Red Sox to set up Joe Blanton and Kenley Jansen. In this year of pitching dangerously, new lefty Rich Hill still has enough blister worries to get today’s start postponed. So everything counts.“That changeup to Leon was the biggest pitch,” Stripling said. “He’s locked in, he wasn’t chasing. So I just gripped it and ripped it and fooled him a little bit. “The Bogearts at-bat was a heckuva battle, too. He fouled off everything. The curve finally made him chase. And then Bradley took a tough 3-and-1 cutter, didn’t swing, took the walk. It was a long first inning. My back was against the wall from the beginning. “Stripling hadn’t started for the Dodgers since May 19. He only came up from Oklahoma City when Bud Norris got hurt. He had a 4.85 ERA as a Dodger starter and the numbers showed he turned into a pumpkin after 75 pitches. “I’m trying to show that’s not really a thing,” he said, smiling. He was in the process of throwing a no-hitter in his major league debut when he was lifted after his 100th pitch. He also spent some idle time at Camelback Ranch with what was called “lower body fatigue.” He is a Tommy John survivor and a former Texas A&M teammate of the Cardinals’ Michael Wacha. Stability would be a new and foreign thing, but he’s looking forward to it.“Being in the rotation and the bullpen has kept me on my toes,” Stripling said. “You help in any way you can.”Meanwhile, Corey Seager slammed an RBI double and made the art of shortstop play look as simple as vacuuming, and Adrian Gonzalez beat the Boston shift with the first of his three hits and brought in the third run with his third.Stripling would like to stick around to see where this goes, but he knows he is allergic to plan. On Saturday it was enough to survive the monster in the box. Now Ortiz fired a hard shot between second and first. “I wasn’t sure where everybody was,” Stripling said, speaking of the defense. Howie Kendrick, the second baseman, was in the alley, aligned in one of the constant shifts that Ortiz sees, the ones that make his .319 batting average and all those other numbers glow even more.Kendrick somehow made the play and threw Ortiz out. Then Stripling fell behind Jackie Bradley Jr., decided to keep pitching around him, walked him, got an 0-2 count on .374-hitting catcher Sandy Leon, fell back to 3-and-2 and looked at A.J. Ellis for help.Ellis signaled changeup. Striping threw one at 84 mph. Leon struck out, Stripling got through the inning with 25 pitches but no runs, and the Dodgers went on to win, 3-0. It was only the fourth time Boston has been shut out and only the second time since April.They got back to the dugout and Ellis told Stripling, “Great work, that’s big time.”