Boxing mourns loss of `Bizzy’ Boyce

first_imgBy Michael DaSilvaThe local boxing fraternity is in a state of shock at the passing of top local boxing tactician Maurice `Bizzy’ Boyce,who passed away on Saturday, just four days after celebrating his 73rd birth anniversary.Boyce’s wife,Desiree,explained that her husband was ill for a while and on Monday last, family members took him to the hospital for treatment but he was not admitted. However, on Friday his condition worsened and he was taken back to the hospital and this time was admitted,but died the following morning.buckOn learning of Boyce’s death, his close friend and former boxing promoter, Keith `Buckallio’ Bazillio,expressed shock at the news stating that Guyana has suffered a great loss with Boyce’s passing.“Bizzy was not just a coach, he was always looking to see how best he can improve conditions for local boxers, he was always around to give advice to boxers and promoters and even those person who are charged with the administration of the sport locally” Bazillio stated.Bazillio added, “He (Boyce) was ill when the Guyana Boxing Board of Control (GBBC) staged its last card at the Giftland Office Max Complex a few weeks ago, but despite his illness, he found time to be there and was actually in the ring assisting in one of the corners…..it is really sad that he will not be around for the next local card or boxing in the future.”Bazillio recalled that Boyce was around with Andrew Murray when he won the Commonwealth title “and he (Boyce) was also around assisting wherever he could in ensuring local boxers are well prepared for making it to the top regionally and internationally” the former promoter pointed out.Bazillio recalled that Boyce was part of the technical team when Wayne `Big Truck’ Braithwaite won the world title in Italy,which was Guyana’s second world title after Andrew `Six Head’ Lewis had previously knocked out Greg page to win Guyana’s first world title.According to Bazillio, after Braithwaite’s achievement, Boyce said that Guyana is now pregnant with world champions, and “his word came to pass, because if you look at it…after `Big Truck’ won the world title, Gwendolyn O’Neil and Vivian Harris went on to win world titles….so his word came to pass…Bizzy will really be missed…this is really a sad loss for Guyana’s boxing”.Bazillio,who is a former light welterweight amateur boxer,extends his condolences to the wife, children and friends of Boyce,who had been been around local boxing for over 40 years with an input in the careers of almost all of Guyana’s top professional boxers.Among them, Michael Benjamin,for his first defence of the Continental of Americas title against Steve Lorrimer, Michael Reid, Kenny Bristol, Brian Muller, Albert Browne,as well as Anthony`The Pearl’ Andrews for his world title fight against Jorge Castro in the USA, and Joseph Murray for his FECABOX title fight.Boyce leaves to mourn his wife Desiree, two sons Jason and Rondell, many grandchildren and close friends.Chronicle Sport extends its heartfelt sympathy to Mrs.Boyce and her family in this period of mourning.last_img

Odoh Threatens to Sue Airline for E/Guinea Open Struggle

first_imgNigeria’s leading professional golfer, Andrew Oche Odoh has threatened to sue South African Airways for his disappointing play at the ongoing 3e Actuaries Equatorial Guinea Open in Mongomo.Odoh has heavy odds stacked against him in his bid to successfully defend the tournament, despite shooting a six under par 66 last night which left him 10 strokes outside the lead after 54 holes.The player, a member of South Africa based Sunshine Tour, said the non-arrival of his golf bag made him to resort to borrowing an unfamiliar set of clubs from local amateur golfers in Mongomo. He told THISDAY last night that he would be left with no option than to ask for a compensation of $24,000 from South African Airlines being the value of the Equatorial Guinea Open winning prize money.‘’The failure of the airline to deliver a golf bag containing my Titlist set clubs to the agreed destination, made me recourse to borrowing a wrong set of clubs, and this why I have not matched expectations in Mongomo. It is a clear of breach of contract and I will be demanding compensation that equals the exact prize to be won by the winner of Equatorial Guinea Open Golf Championship. The alternative clubs are made for amateur and not professional golfers,” Odoh threatened.It was gathered that the golf bag was only delivered in Abuja, instead of Lagos, where Odoh joined the Nigerian contingent that flew to Malabo enroute Doula on Monday.Odoh, who was on the verge of missing the cut after two poor rounds of 78 and 75, rebounded at the Presidential Golf Course, Mongomo, to occupy the 15th position and will be in the 31 players field that will compete the final round today.Englishman Craig Hinton, took the lead in sterling fashion, with a course record round of seven under par 65 to take two shots lead over Zambian Zambian Muthiya Madalitso and Swede Peter Gustafsson, who are for tied for second place.Hinton drained five birdies on the back, including a chip in on the last hole for a 31 on the home bound play, and an overall 10 under par for the tournament.Mandhu Mohammed of Zimbabwe occupied the fourth position at 4 under par to stay in touch with the leaders, following a round of 71 mixed with four birdies and three bogies.Six of the eight Nigerians that entered for the tournament made the cut.They include Gift Willy (+2 over par), Odoh, Michael Ubi, Sunday Olapade, Mohammed K. Haruna and Francis Christopher. Kamilu Bako and Morgan Atako missed the cut.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Joey Gallo injury update: Rangers slugger to have hand surgery, report says

first_imgIt’s unclear by the report when the surgery will be and there is no timetable for Gallo’s return. However, the report noted that the average recovery time from surgery on the hamate bone is 3-6 weeks, meaning Gallo will be put in the injury list.Gallo left Tuesday’s game against the Mariners in the eighth inning with the hurt hand. He had already missed three weeks in June with an oblique injury. Related News Blake Snell injury update: Rays ace to have elbow surgery, out at least 4 weeks MLB trade rumors: Rangers ‘likely’ to move Mike Minor; Phillies, Brewers interested in starter The Rangers will be without one of their best players heading into August.Joey Gallo will undergo surgery on the hamate bone in his right hand, according to The Athletic. It’s a tough blow for the Rangers, who currently are vying for a wild card spot, but are 6.5 games behind a place in the playoffs. Rangers’ Mike Minor unhappy he might be moved: ‘It’s almost like I signed just so they could trade me’ On top of that, the Rangers have lost nine of their last 10, with Tuesday’s win ending an eight-game skid.Gallo, 25, had a .253/.389/.598 slash line with 22 home runs in 70 games before he was injured.last_img read more