Press Association The 45-year-old was relieved of his duties at White Hart Lane less than six months after he replaced Andre Villas-Boas in the dugout. Sherwood’s future was unclear throughout much of that reign, with constant speculation linking the likes of Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino, Ajax’s Frank De Boer and Holland coach Louis van Gaal to his job. West Brom and former club Norwich are also looking for new managers and Sherwood’s impressive win ratio of over 59 per cent during his time at Spurs will no doubt alert those clubs. When asked in his press conference ahead of their final game of the season against Aston Villa he revealed he was not confident he would be managing anywhere next year. During his spell in charge Sherwood compared his position to that of a babysitter and a supply teacher and publicly criticised the commitment of his players after they slipped to an uninspiring 4-0 defeat at Chelsea. Sherwood’s side also lost 5-1 at home to eventual champions Manchester City and were knocked out of the Europa League in the round of 16 with a 5-3 aggregate defeat to Benfica. An impressive display in their last league game of the season saw them beat Aston Villa 3-0 and seal a return to the Europa League next season but the writing already appeared to be on the wall for Sherwood. Brazil midfielder Sandro, who fell out of favour under Sherwood, said last week that he expected to be working under a new boss while the approach to De Boer and constant link to the likes of Pochettino always suggested Levy was ready to make a change. And Daniel Levy confirmed Sherwood’s departure in a statement on the club’s official website on Tuesday afternoon. “We appointed Tim mid-season as someone who knew both the players and the club. We agreed an 18-month contract with a break clause at the end of the season and we have now exercised that option,” the statement read. “Moving forward, now the season is over, we shall embark on the process of finding a new head coach. “We have a talented squad and exciting young players coming through. We need to build on this season, develop our potential and inspire the kind of performances that we associate with our great club.” Sherwood became the 12th Barclays Premier League manager to lose his job since the start of the season and told Sky Sports News he was disappointed to be sacked. “It is obviously a massive wrench to leave a club of the stature of Tottenham Hotspur, a club very close to my heart,” he said. As soon as it was announced that Sherwood was departing Tottenham, he was installed as favourite to fill the vacant hot-seat at Brighton. Oscar Garcia left the south-coast club after losing 6-2 on aggregate to Derby in the Championship play-off semi-finals and now Sherwood could replace him. Tim Sherwood admits it was a “massive wrench” to lose his job at Tottenham on Tuesday but he will be hoping he has made enough of an impression to land another managerial post.
(BBC) – Britain’s Andy Murray says there must be “severe repercussions” for players who break the US Open safety bubble at next month’s Grand Slam in New York.The event is set to be held without fans at Flushing Meadows with players having to follow strict measures.But there are fears some may break the curfew by going out in Manhattan and putting the event in jeopardy.“The repercussions should be quite serious, you end up putting the whole tour and event at risk,” said Murray.The United States Tennis Association is hosting a double tournament at Flushing Meadows, having moved the Cincinnati Masters to New York.The event will be staged at the Billie Jean King Tennis Centre from August 22, with the US Open taking place immediately afterwards on August 31.Former world number one Murray, who is continuing to build up his fitness after pelvic and shin issues this year, is planning to play both events.USTA measures within the safety bubble include regular testing, mitigation measures and increased sanitisation. The organisation said yesterday it was confident the health and safety of everyone involved in the tournaments remained “on track”.“I think the majority of players will follow the rules but it would be silly to expect nobody would break the rules and the protocols,” said Murray.Last week, American player Danielle Collins was dismissed from the World Team Tennis event in West Virginia for breaching coronavirus protocols.Collins drove two hours away to the neighbouring state of Virginia, telling the New York Times she travelled to buy supplements to help with her rheumatoid arthritis.“In the NBA for example, which I think will be a similar set-up to the tennis, players have broken the bubble so we should be preparing for that,” added Murray.“The USTA is going through a huge effort to try to get this on and make it as safe as possible so if players aren’t abiding by the rules the repercussions should be severe.”The 33-year-old Scot is expecting to book his flights to New York over the weekend, with the number of cases continuing to decrease in the state.Once the epicentre of the pandemic, New York recorded 668 new cases this week, but the US as a whole is seeing rising infections, recording nearly 1.8 million new coronavirus cases in July, while the death rate rose 19%.Australia’s women’s world number one Ashleigh Barty pulled out of the US Open on Thursday because of her concerns, although Murray said the decisions of other players had no bearing on his own plans.
Comments With the 2016 NCAA Tournament officially starting Tuesday, beat writers Sam Blum, Jesse Dougherty and Matt Schneidman filled out their own brackets. Each of them is below, and feel free to critique our picks in the comments section. Happy March Madness.Sam Blum’s bracketJesse Dougherty’s bracketAdvertisementThis is placeholder textMatt Schneidman’s bracket Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 15, 2016 at 11:35 am
The flooding at Letterkenny General Hospital last night.Frontline staff prevented another flooding on the scale of last year’s disaster after they rushed for sandbags to seal up Letterkenny General Hospital, Donegal Daily can reveal.A hospital insider has revealed how hospital management were reluctant to call the fire service during last night’s heavy downpours.However, in an amazing act of passion, one worker grabbed a phone from a member of management and demanded the fire service come to the hospital. The scene last night in the car park at the Emergency Department donegaldaily.comOther members of frontline staff rushed to gather sandbags and placed them at the doors of the Accident and Emergency.The acts of defiance almost certainly saved the hospital from suffering anther heavy flood disaster which occurred exactly one year and one week ago.The hospital insider was on duty as torrential downpours sent thousands of gallons of water gushing into the car park of the hospital in front of the A&E Department.He said “There was a lot of uncertainly about whether to call the fire services or not. In the end this guy grabbed the phone and demanded they come up. “It was amazing to watch it. A decision needed to be made and it was. God knows what might have happened if it was left any longer.“A number of staff also rushed to get sandbags and sealed up the two entrances – the public entrance and the ambulance entrance.“Some water did get in and there was a mess for a while but it took about three hours to clean it up.“It could have been a repeat of last year but for some quick-thinking and getting the sandbags up against the doors.”A number of public representatives including Deputies Padraig MacLochlainn, Charlie McConalogue and Cllr Ciaran Brogan visited the hospital last night. Despite initially diverting patients to Sligo and Derry, the hospital re-opened to the public last night.There have been calls for Health Minister Leo Varadkar to visit the hospital today amidst other calls for a full public inquiry into the planning process for the hospital.FRONTLINE STAFF SAVED HOSPITAL AFTER RUNNING FOR SANDBAGS TO BLOCK FLOOD was last modified: August 6th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:floodGardaiLetterkenny General HospitalManagementStaff
After the Punjab National Bank fraud case involving jeweler Nirav Modi made headlines, the government is making it mandatory for officials to collect passport details in case a borrower seeks loans worth Rs 50 crore.Knowing the passport details will help banks alert relevant authorities on time to prevent fraud accused people from leaving the country, unlike what happened in cases involving jewelers Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi, and Kingfisher Airlines’ owner Vijay Mallya. While Mallya has been classified as a willful defaulter, Modi and Choksi face charges of fraud and money laundering.“Next step on clean and responsible banking. Passport details must for loans above Rs 50 crore. Step to ensure quick response in case of fraud,” financial services secretary Rajiv Kumar tweeted.Next step on clean N #Responsible #banking.Passport details a must for loans > 50 cr. Steps to ensure quick response in case of Frauds.@PMOIndia @FinMinIndia @PIB_INDIA pic.twitter.com/fcnTE3OFjH— Rajeev kumar (@rajeevkumr) March 10, 2018Currently, those who borrow over Rs 50 crore from banks have been told to submit passport details. Banks have been given 45 days to collect passport details of borrowers, Kumar told the Press Trust of India.Big loan defaulters like Modi, Choksi and Mallya have fled the country, exposing the large loopholes in the recovery mechanism. The Cabinet approved the Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill after Nirav Modi and his uncle Mehul Choksi allegedly defrauded state-owned Punjab National Bank (PNB) of Rs 12,700 crore and left the country.They have refused to return and said that recovery will be difficult since their brand Geetanjali jewelry was diminished in value due to the ongoing investigation. They are allegedly refusing to cooperate with law enforcement agencies.According to the draft bill, assets of fraud-accused Indians can be impounded and sold by the government. It will also apply to defaulters who have outstanding loans worth Rs 100 crore or more and have fled the country.The finance ministry directed public sector banks (PSBs) to probe all Non-Performing Asset accounts over more than Rs 50 crore for possible fraud and report them to the Central Bureau of Investigation. Banks have also been asked to monitor loans above Rs 250 crore and flag it up if there are violations. Related ItemsBankingNirav ModiVijay Mallya