FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:The European Union is considering binding standards for natural gas to limit emissions of methane, the second-largest contributor to global warming after carbon dioxide. The 27-member bloc is the world’s biggest importer of gas, and imposing such standards could affect its major suppliers, which include Russia and Norway.Published on Wednesday, the EU methane strategy includes a clearer commitment than previous drafts, which shied away from methane limits on gas consumed in Europe. It said any legislation would follow an impact assessment involving international partners.“The Commission will consider methane emission reduction targets, standards or other incentives for fossil energy consumed and imported in the EU in the absence of significant commitments from international partners,” the policy said. Curbing methane is key to plans to cut EU greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050. However, that target does not capture the emissions released to produce or transport gas to the EU, whereas methane standards for imported gas would.Methane, which is emitted from leaky oil and gas pipelines and infrastructure, unused coal mines and farming, is 84 times more potent than CO2 in its first 20 years in the atmosphere.The Commission will propose legislation next year requiring oil and gas companies to monitor and report methane emissions and repair leaks. It will consider banning venting and flaring, which release methane into the atmosphere or deliberately burn it.Satellite data has shown methane emissions significantly higher than levels reported by industry. The Commission said it will help launch an independent international body to gather data, supported by EU satellites.[Kate Abnett]More: EU considers binding methane emissions standards for gas European Union may enact binding limits on methane emissions from gas industry
By Alistair Smout, Michael HoldenLONDON, England (Reuters) – Former British Prime Minister Theresa May has chosen Geoffrey Boycott, one of her cricket heroes, for a knighthood, attracting criticism from domestic abuse charities.The retired England batsman was convicted in France in 1998 of hitting his ex-girlfriend; yesterday he was unrepentant over the incident, saying that the allegations were untrue and that he “couldn’t give a toss” about the criticism.The opposition Labour party and campaigners called for Boycott’s nomination to be rescinded.“Celebrating a man who was convicted for assaulting his partner sends a dangerous message – that domestic abuse is not taken seriously as a crime,” Adina Claire of the charity Women’s Aid said in a statement. Boycott, interviewed yesterday after the honour was announced, was irritable when asked about the conviction.“It’s a cross I have to bear – right or wrong, good or bad, I have to live with it – and I do because I am clear in my mind, and I think most people in England are, that it’s not true,” Boycott, 78, told BBC radio.When asked about the charity’s criticism, he replied to the female presenter: “I don’t care a toss about her, love. It’s 25 years ago. You can take your political nature and do whatever you want with it … I couldn’t give a toss.” Boycott is set to receive a knighthood after previously expressing his frustration with not getting the honour in terms that also attracted criticism.In 2017, Boycott apologised “unreservedly” after the Daily Mirror reported that he had said he needed to ‘black up’ to improve his chances of getting a knighthood given how many West Indian cricketers had received the honour. Boycott said he meant no offence but “what I said was clearly wrong”.Queen Elizabeth grants Resignation Honours at the request of an outgoing prime minister. May nominated Boycott, whose persistence she had vowed to emulate in her ultimately failed efforts to deliver Brexit, among a list of other people. Boycott scored over 8 000 runs in Test cricket and was known for his stubborn and conservative batting style.“One of my cricket heroes was always Geoffrey Boycott,” she said in November when quizzed about how long she would stay in office as ministers quit in protest at her strategy for pulling Britain out of the European Union. “Geoffrey Boycott stuck to it and he got the runs in the end,” said May, who ended up leaving the job in July after repeatedly failing to get her Brexit deal approved by parliament.RETCHING FEELINGMay previously mocked her predecessor David Cameron’s decision to knight his communications director Craig Oliver, implying that seeing his name on Cameron’s resignation honours list had given her a retching feeling.However, the former Conservative leader has also chosen to honour some of her closest advisers and allies, with her Director of Communications Robbie Gibb, chief Brexit negotiator Olly Robbins, European adviser Peter Storr and de facto deputy David Lidington all receiving knighthoods.May’s former joint chiefs-of-staff, Fiona Hill and Nick Timothy, the latter an architect of May’s approach to Brexit who has been outspoken in criticising his old boss’s strategy since he stopped working for her, are in line for lesser honours. Their replacement, Gavin Barwell, has been nominated to sit in Britain’s upper chamber, the House of Lords. Asked about May’s choices for honours, new Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: “It is at the discretion of the former prime minister.”“That particular list – definitely a matter for her.”Kim Darroch, Britain’s former ambassador to Washington who quit in July after a leak of his memos to a British newspaper prompted a stinging attack from U.S. President Donald Trump, has also been nominated to be made a Lord.As well as Boycott, May nominated former England cricket captain Andrew Strauss for a knighthood, while Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick will receive a damehood.
History was made at the just concluded Lawyers Table Tennis Open (Mfon Usoro Cup) as Yetunde Martins knocked off seven-time winner of the competition,, Titilayo Osagie, to clinch the title of female category of the tournament.Martins who had always come out second best against her Ikeja Bar compatriot, Titilayo dug in deep in the final set to win a tense affair at the Tennis court inside National Stadium.Speaking on the tournament, its patron, Mfon Usoro said that the competition is aimed at encouraging healthy living with good progress witnessed yearly.â€œWe started this competition to encourage Lawyers to imbibe healthy living and sportsmanship. Itâ€™s quite delightful to see a new winner in the female category. Itâ€™s a demonstration of the progress made by Martins and the tournament as a whole,â€ she said.National Welfare Secretary of the NBA, Adesina Adegbite who was also at the event commended the participants and the organisers for the initiative. He also pledged to drum support for the sporting event at the national level of the NBA to ensure that its profile is further raised.â€œI congratulate everyone who has participated here today. Itâ€™s was quite interesting and refreshing to see Lawyers do sports. Iâ€™d like to thank the organizers for their consistency in doing this yearly. Iâ€™ll embark on a personal drive to drum support for this initiative at the national level of the NBA. I would also like to encourage all Lawyers across the country to come in next year and letâ€™s do this together,â€ he noted.In the menâ€™s category, Tunji Abdulhameed defended the title he won last year to retain the trophy as winner of the Menâ€™s Category while Kabir Adeleke and Cisan Ezeikpe both settled for second and third places in both categories.Â Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram