(BBC) – Britain’s Andy Murray says there must be “severe repercussions” for players who break the US Open safety bubble at next month’s Grand Slam in New York.The event is set to be held without fans at Flushing Meadows with players having to follow strict measures.But there are fears some may break the curfew by going out in Manhattan and putting the event in jeopardy.“The repercussions should be quite serious, you end up putting the whole tour and event at risk,” said Murray.The United States Tennis Association is hosting a double tournament at Flushing Meadows, having moved the Cincinnati Masters to New York.The event will be staged at the Billie Jean King Tennis Centre from August 22, with the US Open taking place immediately afterwards on August 31.Former world number one Murray, who is continuing to build up his fitness after pelvic and shin issues this year, is planning to play both events.USTA measures within the safety bubble include regular testing, mitigation measures and increased sanitisation. The organisation said yesterday it was confident the health and safety of everyone involved in the tournaments remained “on track”.“I think the majority of players will follow the rules but it would be silly to expect nobody would break the rules and the protocols,” said Murray.Last week, American player Danielle Collins was dismissed from the World Team Tennis event in West Virginia for breaching coronavirus protocols.Collins drove two hours away to the neighbouring state of Virginia, telling the New York Times she travelled to buy supplements to help with her rheumatoid arthritis.“In the NBA for example, which I think will be a similar set-up to the tennis, players have broken the bubble so we should be preparing for that,” added Murray.“The USTA is going through a huge effort to try to get this on and make it as safe as possible so if players aren’t abiding by the rules the repercussions should be severe.”The 33-year-old Scot is expecting to book his flights to New York over the weekend, with the number of cases continuing to decrease in the state.Once the epicentre of the pandemic, New York recorded 668 new cases this week, but the US as a whole is seeing rising infections, recording nearly 1.8 million new coronavirus cases in July, while the death rate rose 19%.Australia’s women’s world number one Ashleigh Barty pulled out of the US Open on Thursday because of her concerns, although Murray said the decisions of other players had no bearing on his own plans.
Comments Published on September 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm Facebook Twitter Google+ Beat writer Trevor Hass and The Daily Orange sports staff has you covered for updates from Syracuse-Northwestern. The Orange (0-1) looks to knock off the 19th-ranked Wildcats (1-0) at 6 p.m. ET.
When the final whistle blew, sophomore forward Johannes Pieles layed in the grass, slammed his palm on the surface and pushed himself up. Most of the other players were hunched over, with hands on their hips, gasping for air.“Sometimes I think our best form of defense is to attack,” SU head coach Ian McIntyre said. “In order to nullify a team like Akron you have to put a lot of work in.”But Syracuse (5-5-2, 0-3-1) couldn’t keep up with Akron (6-2-1) on Tuesday night, losing, 1-0. Watching the opposition celebrate on its home field has become commonplace for SU. After winning four of its first five home games, the Orange has lost four straight at SU Soccer Stadium. One day earlier, McIntyre called the contest the biggest nonconference game in his eight years as coach. For the first 20 minutes, Syracuse looked like it would come out on top, dominating possession and rattling off shots. Early in the first half, the Orange outshot the Zips four to one, but failed to convert, a frequent occurrence in the team’s six-game stretch that has yielded only one victory.Nineteen seconds into the game, SU applied the pressure it wanted to sustain the entire night. As Akron kicked off, midfielder Mamadou Balde dispossessed a Zips forward near the center circle and boomed the ball to a sprinting Tajon Buchanan. The freshman let the ball bounce in front of him, one-timed a volley and watched the ball ricochet off the post.“For a second,” Buchanan said, “I actually did think it was going to go in. I saw it out the corner of my eye go toward the post, it just curled wide.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textTo prevent Akron’s high-powered offense from scoring, the Orange swarmed the ball. It trapped players down the wings, deployed two forwards instead of three to have more players in the midfield and muscled players off the ball. Throughout the game, SU accumulated 16 fouls.Syracuse also used its wingbacks to control possession and play up and down the wings. Yet, the Orange couldn’t beat the nation’s 12th best scoring defense, led by 6-foot-6 goalkeeper Ben Lundt. McIntyre said his team was “exceptional” in the first half, despite trailing.In a five-minute span in the first half, the Orange made five substitutions. As each new player entered the game, the pace slowed and Akron started to control the ball. Forty-four seconds after the final substitution, Ezana Kahsay cut between SU’s flat-footed backline following a spell of short passes and tapped a shot past SU goalie Hendrik Hilpert. As Kahsay celebrated with his teammates near the corner flag, a few of the Orange doubled over. Here they were again, down at home after not converting early.“We were in the ascendancy before they scored,” McIntyre said.In the first four minutes of the second half, the ball remained in SU’s attacking third. The possession culminated in a premium scoring chance as Hugo Delhommelle crossed the ball in to Buchanan. The Colorado native beat a defender and headed the ball towards the net. The ball bounced past the outstretched arm of Lundt and wide of the post.With 16 minutes left, SU head coach Ian McIntyre, hoping to find an equalizer, subbed in Delhommelle, Buchanan, Jan Breitenmoser and John-Austin Ricks. The offensive move yielded more chances. Buchanan and Jonathan Hagman each had a shot go wide. Delhommelle had a corner with 12 seconds left that got sent away.After the game, the Zips’ bench rushed the field while the Orange reserves trickled out. Delhommelle lingered on the pitch near the ACC logo. He worked his way over to the bench and buried his face in his hands. A couple feet away his coach commended the team for a performance that, yet again, wasn’t enough.“That’s our DNA,” McIntyre said. “Kept pushing and pushing until the last 10 seconds. That Akron team celebrating was a reflection of how hard we worked tonight.“This was Syracuse soccer.” Comments Published on October 3, 2017 at 9:12 pm Contact Nick: firstname.lastname@example.org | @nick_a_alvarez Facebook Twitter Google+
WATCH US LIVE Last Updated: 12th December, 2018 16:49 IST Working On How To End Matches: Sakshi Malik Not the one to fret over defeats wrestler Sakshi Malik is working hard on how to close the deal on the mat, something which has emerged as her achilles heel this season. The Rio Olympics bronze medallist, who managed to salvage her pride by ending the year with a gold at the nationals without losing a single point, is already gearing up for the new season. Asked how she keeps herself motivated despite grappling with so many disappointments, Sakshi says it’s her love for wrestling the helps her power on.”An athlete’s life is full of ups and downs sometimes we win sometimes we lose. I always keep on thinking I have to perform well ahead. I love wrestling and that keeps me motivated to go ahead.” 1 year ago Theresa May to contest confidence vote ‘with everything I’ve got’ Not the one to fret over defeats wrestler Sakshi Malik is working hard on how to close the deal on the mat, something which has emerged as her achilles heel this season.Sakshi suffered a spate of disappointing results all year. At the Commonwealth Games she went down in the first round but managed to win a bronze via repechage.The Rohtak wrestler picked up another bronze in the Asian Championships but crashed out of the Yasar Dogu International before reaching the medal round.The bad form continued at the Asian Games where Sakshi returned empty-handed before suffering a humiliating exit from the World Championship. COMMENT Written By 1 year ago Kerala Assembly adjourned for 8th straight day Press Trust Of India The Rio Olympics bronze medallist has lost most of her bouts this year, including her CWG and Asian Games exits, in the dying moments.”I am working really hard on how to keep my calm towards the end of my bouts. The last few seconds are very important. I am losing matches towards the end. I have to keep myself focused.”Under the scanner by the national federation, Sakshi was offered a Grade B contract — which offers a financial support of Rs 20 lakh for one year, but the 26-year-old is not bothered by it.READ | Matt Hardy Is In India And He Says The Upcoming WWE Trials Offer A Big Chance LIVE TV “Right now my aim is to qualify for the 2019 World Championships. I will also be taking part in the Pro Wrestling League (PWL).”Talking about the PWL, which will be telecast on Sony Pictures Network India, Sakshi said the leagues provide Indian wrestlers an exposure to the international wrestlers and help boost confidence. “The league helps us a lot because of the participation of good international wrestlers. We get to grapple with them. We learn a lot from them during training. Our confidence is also boosted when we beat them,” she said. READ | Record-breaker MC Mary Kom Signs 10 Year-deal Extending Management Contract With IOS Sports SUBSCRIBE TO US WE RECOMMEND First Published: 12th December, 2018 16:49 IST “I don’t feel any pressure. Pay grade is based on performance and I am not doing well at the moment so I have been moved down. Once I start doing well I will be shifted back. The grades depend on the medals,” she said amidst reports she will be upgraded to Grade A. “I analyse all my bouts irrespective of whether I am winning or losing. I look at my mistakes, where I lost the point and try and figure out how to rectify it. According to my weight I have good power, wrestling is a combination of power and technique. You can’t rely on just one thing, you have to have both,” Sakshi told PTI. FOLLOW US 1 year ago Not necessary to disclose identity of rape, sexual assault victims to arouse public opinion: Supreme Court