Controversial decision angers Cardiff City manager Mackay

first_imgCardiff boss Malky Mackay said referee Anthony Taylor made a mistake in allowing Chelsea’s controversial equaliser in their 4-1 win at Stamford Bridge to stand.Samuel Eto’o toe-ended the ball away from Cardiff goalkeeper David Marshall as he bounced the ball from his hands, and the striker eventually set up Eden Hazard to score.Fifa laws clearly state that keepers remain in control of the ball if bouncing it – but Mackay revealed the referee told him after the match he felt Marshall had dropped the ball.The Bluebirds manager said: “I asked for clarification on the ruling, and they said if he had bounced the ball that would be a foul.“They felt he had dropped the ball – but my goalkeeper bounced the ball.“He’s got the ball in his control – they didn’t think he had and the ball was in open play. That’s a mistake.”Chelsea assistant boss Steve Holland conceded his side may have benefitted from a misjudgement by the referee.He said: “It looked as if the goalkeeper was bouncing the ball.“If that is the case [that it should have been a foul], those things can go one way or the other.” 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Best Buy: What’s Next After Collapse Of Leveraged Buyout?

first_imgMassive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… Last summer, Best Buy founder Richard Schulze offered to buy the company for $8.8 billion, which would have made it the biggest-ever buyout for an American retail chain. Schulze stated at the time of his offer that the company was facing a “moment of truth.”The moment appears to have come and gone.Schulze missed last week’s bid deadline as he was unable to line up the necessary debt and equity financing. On Friday, the company released a statement closing the door on the buyout process:The deadline by which Mr. Schulze could make an offer to acquire the company expired yesterday, February 28, 2013, at the end of the day. The company received no such offer and will continue to focus on its transformation for the benefit of all of its stakeholders.According to Bloomberg, there remains a remote possibility that Schulze, who stepped down as chairman of the company last June, will continue his efforts to buy back the company. And other sources have speculated that Shulze could rejoin the electronic retailer’s board.   But nothing has surfaced so far. Schulze remains Best Buy’s largest shareholder, with an approximate 20% stake.(See also ReadWrite DeathWatch: Best Buy.)Best Buy has continued to struggle of late, though it did appear to be stabilizing. CEO Hubert Joly closed several stores over the past year and placed a greater emphasis on e-commerce. Last week, Best Buy reported a loss of $409 million for the quarter ending Feb. 2. This compared with a loss of $1.82 billion a year earlier. Revenues for the quarter rose 0.2% to $16.71 billion. While Best Buy stock was upgraded to a Buy rating Jefferies, the company has more recently been in the news for following Yahoo’s lead and banning telecommuting, and cutting 400 corporate jobs. (See also Why Banning Telecommuting Is A Sign Your Company Is Screwed.)Last month, however, US News & World Report named Best Buy as the retailer most vulnerable to “showrooming.” Showrooming is the situation when shoppers use their smartphones from within a store to find a better price elsewhere. Best Buy shoppers, for example, often find the product they like inside the store then purchase the product online from Amazon for a lower price. To combat the trend, Best Buy recently announced it will match competitor prices for most items, including those purchased online from Amazon.com, Buy.com and Apple.com.(See also Another Reason Best Buy Is Doomed – And Why That’s A Problem.)Such efforts are not likely to sustain the company, however. Michael Pachter, a research analyst with Wedbush Securities, told ReadWrite that Best Buy’s sizable physical retail footprint demands approximately 10% higher prices than pure-play e-commerce companies. “Best Buy can’t be competitively priced. Store operating costs are approximately $5 billion on $50 billion annual revenues – that’s a 10% cost disadvantage compared to companies like Amazon. The numbers don’t add up.”  Pachter added that if the investment community thought favorably of Best Buy’s long-term prospects, founder Schulze likely would have been able to line up the appropriate financing.Image courtesy of Shutterstock. Tags:#e-commerce#retail Related Posts brian s hallcenter_img 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of… IT + Project Management: A Love Affairlast_img read more

Pacquiao commends McGregor, Mayweather

first_imgCatriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses Mayweather scored a technical knockout victory over McGregor to take hold of a perfect 50-0 record, boxing’s greatest win-loss record ever.Heavyweight icon Rocky Marciano was once the owner of the sport’s best record at 49-0, a feat Mayweather replicated in 2015 when he defeated an overmatched Andre Berto in lopsided fashion.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutAs for McGregor, this was his first fight in a boxing ring after emerging as the UFC’s poster boy when he held the lightweight and featherweight belts consecutively.RELATED VIDEO Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES McGregor awed by clinical Mayweather1.8K viewsSportsVentuno Web Player 4.51 Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf PLAY LIST 01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Read Next LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Gamescenter_img WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding View comments UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Jack pummels Cleverly to take light-heavy crown SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, embraces Conor McGregor after a super welterweight boxing match Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Isaac Brekken)Boxing legend Manny Pacquiao gave praise to both Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor after the two matched up against each other Sunday (Manila time) at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.“Respect to McGregor for taking a chance but congrats to Floyd on #50!” Pacquiao posted on Twitter.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Gameslast_img read more

5 QUICK QUESTIONS with Wilmingtons New Police Chief Joe Desmond PART 2

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington Apple recently caught up with Wilmington Police Chief Joe Desmond, who was appointed to the position on Monday, July 15.Below is part two of a two-part interview. (Read part one HERE.)Question #1: In Town Manager Hull’s initial FY2020 budget, he had budgeted for 4 new police officers, with the hope of adding an additional 4 down the road, allowing for the creation of a fourth police sector in town. Those plans were placed on hold, in part, over staffing needs of the Fire Department. The Police Department hasn’t seen a new officer position added since FY2008. Will the Police Department be getting some new staffing in the near future?Chief: “We think so. There’s only one pie. The Finance Committee has a difficult job to do in picking which priorities to fund each year. I helped Chief Begonis with that staffing plan. We’re certainly willing to work with the Finance Committee and come up with solutions. I think with our responsibilities and the advent of defibrillators and Narcan, the more people we have out on the street, the quicker our response can be. The town is a wonderful town, but because it’s so wonderful, it’s growing rapidly, and we want to be able to maintain the level of service we always do. With that, we’ll need more men, and that unfortunately costs money.”Question #2: Do you think the School Resource Officer program will be expanded to the lower schools? Chief: “Like with anything else, you want to prioritize with the staffing levels that you have. We’ve always felt that an officer in the schools is a very valuable thing. I think the schools will back that up. They rely on us heavily. Our school resource officers get phone calls asking for advice on how to deal with certain things. DARE has taken a back seat as some studies have shown it wasn’t getting a bang for its buck. I certainly look forward to looking at things to see if there is a place for another school resource officer.Question #3: Do you ever see the K9 program being brought back?Chief: “That was a very successful program, but that’s one of those things where you have to pay for the main course before you can get dessert. Unfortunately, until we can offer the necessary staffing levels, it would be difficult to do that at this point because of the training involved. Once we pick a K9 officer, it’s a 6 month training and then more specialized drug training. That officer off the line for awhile. The answer is YES, we look forward to looking at the possibility of getting that back because it was so successful. Eric Palmer was great at it. The dogs he had were fantastic. And it helps the reputation of this police deparmtent in many ways, not only community outreach but actual law enforcement.”Question #4: How do you feel the Department is doing combating the opioid epidemic and helping those struggling with addiction and their families? Chief: “We’ve hired Samantha Reif and she’s been outstanding. We’re seeing the number of overdoses go down. You have to analyze those numbers and peel back the onion — are the OD’s really going down or is the advent of Narcan just preventing the OD’s? We’re encouraged by the direction the numbers are going, but we can’t let our guard down. We have a comprehensive plan to deal with opioids. Samantha, unfortunately, will always be busy. We can’t forget about alcohol. Alcohol is the #1 drug addiction issue that we see. We’re making progress with the opioids and we need to continue. And a lot of people addicted to drugs have duel diagnoses – they have something else going on. Samantha can assist with mental health issues as well.”Question #5: What are your thoughts on the town’s solution of building a temporary platform at North Wilmington station so emergency vehicles aren’t delayed when trains are stopped and the gates are down?Chief: “We appreciate everything our state officials have done to expedite this. There a lot of communities out there that have needs relative to trains and platforms. Moving in the direction of a new platform is great for us. All it takes is one call — if that gates are down and the fire department can’t get through there – even though it doesn’t happen often — it only takes once. We look forward to resolving the issue.”Bonus Question: You currently have two student officers – Sousa and Fitzgerald. How are they doing in their training and when will they officially join the force?Chief: “They’re about halfway through [the academy] and will graduate in the fall. Then they start a 12-week FTO (Field Training Officer) program. From my understanding, they’re both doing well and are great candidates. We’re excited to get them out there. I’m sure they’re excited too. We can count them as manpower after their FTO program.”Bonus Question: Officers Paul Chalifour and Louis Martignetti are retiring in the coming months. Any thoughts on their careers with the WPD?Chief: “I’ve worked my entire career with Paul. Paul was here before me. I’ve worked about 90% of my career with Louie. They’re both great guys. I wish them well. I guess there’s a time when you know it’s time to go. Paul is currently our Community Liaison Officer. That was a new position that Chief Begonis started and it’s one I’m going to continue because it’s a really great point person to deal with community issues as they arise — kinda of like a rapid response position. Louie is a very hard worker. Always professional. Always polite. I’m going to miss them both.”Look for 5 questions with Wilmington’s new Finance Director Bryan Perry tomorrow on Wilmington Apple.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Related5 QUICK QUESTIONS with Wilmington’s New Police Chief Joe Desmond (PART 1)In “5 Quick Questions”Wilmington Police Chief Joe Desmond & Deputy Police Chief Brian Pupa Sworn InIn “Police Log”SELECTMEN NEWS: Board Supports Fire & Police Substation In North Wilmington; Town To Vote On Project In April 2020?In “Government”last_img read more