SANTA CLARA, CA – JANUARY 07: Patrick Phibbs #58 of the Clemson Tigers snaps the ball against the Alabama Crimson Tide in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T at Levi’s Stadium on January 7, 2019 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)Clemson blew out Alabama in last year’s national title game, and it was such a shocking result that fans and analysts are still talking about it five months later. Mike Griffith of DawgNation had some interesting things to say about the contest this week on the “Three Man Front” podcast.Griffith contends that if Alabama and Clemson had met earlier in the season – in September or October – that the Crimson Tide would have won by “three touchdowns.” As you’d imagine, Tigers fans disagree with him.Griffith also believes that Alabama’s tough SEC schedule contributed to its ultimate demise.Here’s the quote: “The Alabama of September and October – if Alabama and Clemson played in September or October, Alabama would have won by three touchdowns. But what happened was Clemson got better. Trevor Lawrence developed into the best pocket passer I’ve seen in the SEC since Peyton Manning and his receivers are phenomenal.Alabama got beat up. They got beat up by the SEC schedule and Tua wasn’t Tua. There were a couple of pivotal plays early in the championship game and tip your cap to Clemson, they won. But the Alabama team that I saw in the regular season last year made history statistically and I thought they were unbelievable.”Griffith also said he doesn’t believe Clemson would have gone undefeated in the SEC last year.Honestly, no, I don’t think Clemson would have run the table in the SEC last season. But Clemson was the best team when it mattered most and will go into next season as my preseason No. 1. What Alabama did in the 2018 regular season should not be overlooked or forgotten, IMO. https://t.co/w82HArI9Lu— Mike Griffith (@MikeGriffith32) June 7, 2019Clemson fans may take offense here, but it is important to remember that Lawrence was not the team’s starting quarterback when last season began. The Tigers did improve as the season went on.That said, there was no doubt in the national championship game which team was better. Clemson will likely be the No. 1 team in the country come August.
Krista Daley, a leader in human rights and immigration issues, has been appointed director and CEO of the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission. Cecil Clarke, Minister responsible for the Human Rights Act, made the announcement today, April 30, and said Ms. Daley is an excellent choice to lead the commission. “We are pleased to have someone with Ms. Daley’s reputation and experience accept this very important appointment,” he said. The appointment comes after diligent work by a selection panel that included non-partisan panelists appointed by each of the political parties and independent representation. Ms. Daley was the Senior General Counsel and Director of Legal Services for the Canada Immigration and Refugee Board from 2001 until 2008. She also spent a year as an advisor to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Geneva, Switzerland. Mr. Clarke also acknowledged and thanked Michael Noonan, who has been acting director and CEO since past CEO Mayann Francis was appointed Lieutenant Governor in September 2006. “I want to thank Mr. Noonan for his excellent work in the position over the past 18 months and wish him continued success in the future,” said Mr. Clarke. Ms. Daley’s appointment is effective Thursday, May 1. The Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission is an independent government commission that is charged with the administration of the province’s Human Rights Act.
A walking path in Wattala which was the focus of controversy recently, had been constructed at 10 times more than the current cost, Minister of Tourism, Lands and Christian Religious Affairs John Amaratunga said today.He said that various individuals with vested interests have been attempting to implicate him in the removal of the walking path along the Wattala-Mabole Kalu Ela left embankment during the past two weeks. The Minister however said that considering the many requests for the walkway to be retained he has appealed to the land owners to consider allowing the walkway to be reconstructed on their land and to also bear the cost of reconstruction.“They have graciously agreed to my request and work has now commenced to build a new walkway and access road. These works are expected to be completed by the end of this month. The work is estimated to cost Rs. 8 million including the laying of new paving stones for the walkway,” he said.Amaratunga said that considering the current cost of construction, which is financed entirely by the land owners, it begs the question as to how the original walkway constructed by the state was said to have cost Rs. 80 million, which is 10 times more than the current cost. The Minister also questioned individuals who have been protesting against the removal of the walkway whether they would allow the state to construct a similar walkway across their lands without their permission. (Colombo Gazette) He says the Land Reclamation and Development Corporation (LRDC) which comes under the purview of the Ministry of Megapolis and Western Province Development has affirmed by letter dated 18th of March 2016 addressed to him that the land in question “is not vested with the state.” It goes on to state that it has no objection to a road being constructed if the “land owners are agreeable.”“Once I received this information I conveyed it to the legal land owners. The roadway that is to be constructed adjacent to the walkway which is at the center of this controversy is primarily to access a block of land where it has been proposed to construct a housing scheme for families in the area. The roadway will also serve the twin purpose of keeping the canal clean by facilitating the movement of heavy equipment,” he said. “Unfortunately, the media without verifying facts has been blindly giving coverage to these individuals whose ‘stories’ are far from the truth. As stated previously I wish to reiterate that I have no personal interest in this matter, my involvement is purely to ensure the well-being of the people of Wattala, whom I have been representing in parliament since 1978. As I have consistently maintained the walkway in question has been illegally constructed on private land without the consent of the land owners by the previous government,” he said. “I would like to ask those protesting today whether tenders were called for the original project using state funds and whether BOQs were prepared. If so I call upon such documents to be made public so that we could reconcile the mammoth difference in cost. I would also like to pose the question as to how state funds amounting to Rs. 80 million were utilized to build a walkway on privately owned land without the expressed permission of the land owners. I would like to direct this question to those alleging that public property has been destroyed,” he said.