Early sale hope for M Firkin

first_imgAdministrators hope to complete the sale of craft bakery chain M Firkin as a going concern by the start of February.Administrators BDO Stoy Hayward said they are talking to a number of interested parties.The 136-year-old firm, which is the UK’s sixth-lar-gest bakery chain, with 53 shops, called in administrators on January 10, saying sales had been hit by strong competition in the bakery market.last_img

Patisserie UK folds after losing Costa contract

first_imgLees Foods’ Patisserie UK subsidiary has been placed into administration after attempts to sell it as a going concern proved unsuccessful.Patisserie UK, a bespoke manufacturer of cakes, desserts and biscuits, suffered due to the loss of a major customer – Costa Coffee – last year.When Lees Foods acquired the business in 2007, Costa represented 75% of Patisserie UK’s sales, but according to the company, within three weeks of the acquisition Costa announced it was to source a quarter of this business elsewhere.”In late December 2008, Costa Coffee notified Patisserie UK that it would be transferring all of its then remaining requirements from Patisserie UK to other suppliers,” read a statement from Lees.Following a trading update from the company in February, its directors carried out a review of the business after a “disappointing” performance in 2008.According to Lees Foods, its other subsidiaries – Lees of Scotland and Waverley Bakery – will not be affected by the decision and continue to trade in line with expectations.last_img read more

Baking Industry Awards deadline now May 15!

first_imgDon’t forget to enter the Baking Industry Awards. New deadline is May 15.The deadline to enter the Baking Industry Awards is now May 15! All entries should be received by this date. There are are 11 categories ranging from business categories to product categories plus people categories including students and tutors . Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to be recognised as the industry’s best bakers, suppliers and achievers.Download an entry form now! Go to www.bakeryawards.co.uk or tel Helen Law on 01293 846587 or email:[email protected] glittering awards night takes place in London on Tuesday September 8 and all finalists attend as free guests. British Baker looks forward to receiving your entries!last_img

Delice goes for gluten-free

first_imgDelice de France has produced gluten-free muffins and bread that carry the Coeliac Society Crossed Grain Symbol.The products are made in a bakery that only produces gluten-free food and are individually wrapped to ensure freshness and prevent cross-contamination with gluten products.The large frozen muffins are packed in boxes of 24, containing 12 blueberry and 12 chocolate chip varieties. They can be served as soon as they are defrosted and last for four days.Delice de France’s new 80g gluten-free sandwich loaf can be used for any style of traditional sandwich, filled and grilled for a ciabatta-style hot option, or topped and finished off in the oven for a gluten-free pizza-style snack. The bread comes frozen, 48 to a case, does not require any pre-heating or part-baking, and has a four-day shelf-life after defrosting.last_img read more

Wheat harvest holds up despite patchy summer

first_imgAn improved harvest means bakers will be using more home-grown wheat this year. With most of the bread wheat now harvested, there is industry-wide relief that crops have survived well despite the patchy summer weather.Total yield estimates range from 14.2m-15m tonnes, while protein levels are higher than those in last year’s bumper harvest, when diluted protein caused problems for millers.UK flour milling trade body Nabim labelled it “an average harvest”. Said director general Alex Waugh: “There will be a certain amount of variation but there’s a reasonable amount of wheat to choose from.”ADM Milling reported that early indications pointed to good, albeit variable quality, moving across the country. Trading director Lewis Wright said: “In terms of blending it is expected that there will be a greater use of UK-grown wheat and we will work with our customers’ requirements to manage price and offer best value.”Warburtons’ executive director Brett Warburton said the signs were good for the UK: “It’s too early too say what the impact will be on our bakeries but the early signs are positive from a quality perspective. In Canada, the late harvest leaves the crop exposed to possible frost damage, but it’s too early to call.”Rank Hovis would be importing less from Germany, said head of wheat procurement, Gary Sharkey, who admitted a sense of relief after last year. He added that while the wheat price had gone up by £5 a tonne to £128 in the last few days (after the market reacted to a perceived lack of yield following Defra’s revised final projection, down half a million tonnes to 14.2m tonnes) prices had dropped since the middle of May.Like many bakers, NAMB member Anthony Kindred of Kindred Bakery, who has one shop, hoped prices would still ease slightly, but added: “The worry for a baker is when there’s a shortage because of a bad crop you panic a bit if you can’t get good enough flour, but it sounds as though it will be okay this year.”last_img read more

Whoopie pie first for M&S

first_imgMarks & Spencer is the first British supermarket to launch a range of whoopie pies the latest bakery craze from the US with over 20,000 products sold in the first weekend.Burgeoning interest in the treat, which is made from two discs of sponge filled with buttercream, prompted the retailer to bring forward the launch date of the range to coincide with the first May Bank Holiday.Over 50 M&S stores sold out of whoopie pies in the first two days, with emergency deliveries needed to meet demand on the Bank Holiday Monday.”Whoopie pies are to 2010 what the cupcake was to 2009,” said M&S product developer Chris Seaby. “We brought the launch forward two months, because we knew they would be popular, but the response has been phenomenal.”Four-packs of the pies retail for £1.99 and are available in three flavours: chocolate with vanilla; vanilla with chocolate; and toffee.last_img read more

Quiet deliveries help baked goods stay fresh

first_imgThe government has pledged to review the rules on night-time deliveries following several successful ‘quiet delivery’ pilots.In the Autumn Statement, the government said it would ask the Noise Abatement Society (NAS) and the Freight Transport Association (FTA) to further develop recent trials into a toolkit for quiet night-time deliveries, which could provide the basis for new guidance for logistics companies and retailers.Such a move would be particularly beneficial to bakeries, because bread is a time-sensitive product that needs to be delivered as freshly as possible. There is currently a range of restrictions on night deliveries across the UK, varying from area to area, which are designed to reduce the noise disruption. Under the current London Lorry Control Scheme, HGVs require a permit to enter the capital on weekdays between 9pm and 7am, and 1pm to 7am at weekends.British Retail Consortium director general Stephen Robertson said: “This review is a welcome response to our calls for greater flexibility on deliveries. Retailers literally drive for efficiency, but too often, outdated bans stop them delivering at night. That adds to costs and actually forces them to add to the congestion they want to avoid. Many of these restrictions have been in place for years and fail to take account of advances in technology that make vehicles and the unloading process much quieter.The Quiet Delivery Demonstration Scheme was developed by the NAS and the FTA in conjunction with the Department for Transport. Six trials took place at retail outlets across England in 2010, with measures in place such as a ban on slamming doors and installing rubber matting to reduce the noise of roll cages.last_img read more

Indiana’s positive test rate for COVID-19 drops two percentage points in one week

first_imgCoronavirusIndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market (Photo supplied/Indiana State Department of Health) As the coronavirus numbers continue to rise in nationwide, there is some good news from Indiana’s State Department of Health.The Department says Indiana’s 7-day positivity rate for COVID-19 was at 5.3% for the week ended September 1st.The previous week’s numbers suggested the rate of infections was sitting at or hovering around 7.3%.The department reported nearly 400 new cases Tuesday, bringing the state total to 100,780. More than 3,100 Hoosiers have died from COVID-19, and more than 77,000 have recovered after testing positive. Facebook Twitter By Tommie Lee – September 8, 2020 1 540 Google+ WhatsApp Google+ Facebook Pinterest Pinterest Indiana’s positive test rate for COVID-19 drops two percentage points in one week Twitter WhatsApp Previous articleOne dead, one missing from area beaches after Labor Day WeekendNext articleGuilty plea from former SBPD officer Ryan O’Neill Tommie Leelast_img read more

South Bend man sentenced after guilty plea to animal abuse

first_img Twitter Twitter Facebook South Bend man sentenced after guilty plea to animal abuse Facebook IndianaLocalNews (Photo supplied/St. Joseph County Jail) A South Bend man is going to prison after pleading guilty to animal abuse.Damian Newhouse, 43, was arrested at his home, back in April, for reports of animal fighting contests. At the time, Newhouse’s wife told police he would put 5 dogs in a kennel and watch them fight.In September, Newhouse pleaded guilty to domestic violence animal cruelty and using an an animal in a fighting contest.Newhouse was also sentenced in a separate case, for domestic battery.In all, he’ll spend of 4 years in prison, 2 years in community corrections and 1 year on probation.As a condition of probation, he is not able to have contact with, own, or possess any animals of any kind. Pinterest Google+ WhatsApp WhatsApp Google+ Pinterest By Jon Zimney – October 6, 2020 0 273 Previous articleIndiana posts highest daily COVID death total in monthsNext articleNIPSCO natural gas forecast suggests rise in home heating bills Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.last_img read more

Three people airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after toll road crash

first_img Google+ Three people airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after toll road crash WhatsApp (Photo supplied/Indiana State Police) Three people were airlifted to the hospital with serious and potentially life-theratening injuries after a crash on the Indiana Toll Road in Elkhart County. It happened around 4:45 p.m. on Thursday afternoon in the eastbound lanes near the Elkhart toll plaza exit when a semi and and SUV collided. All lanes in both directions were closed for hours to get the air ambulance the space it needed and for the crash investigation.The Indiana State Police released the following information about the crash:Around 4:45 p.m. today troopers responded to a serious crash between a semi and a passenger car on the Indiana Toll Road that required three people to be flown from the scene with serious injuries.  The crash occurred in the eastbound lanes near mile marker 97, approximately 5 miles east of the Elkhart exit.  Preliminary investigation by Trooper Nathan Littlefield indicates that a red 2020 Mack, towing a tanker trailer, driven by Donta Johns, 37 of Chicago, IL was traveling eastbound when it approached traffic that was travelling slowly due to a crash that had occurred earlier in the afternoon. Johns moved from the right lane to the left lane due to the crash ahead. As Johns slowed down, a gray Subaru traveling eastbound did not slow down and drove into the back of the tanker trailer.The male driver of the Subaru, a female front seat passenger, and a male back seat passenger were all airlifted from the scene to Memorial Hospital in South Bend, IN with serious injuries and potentially life-threatening injuries.Westbound lanes and eastbound lanes of the Indiana Toll Road were shut down for approximately 40 minutes for three helicopters to land and load patients to be airlifted. The right lane opened to eastbound traffic at approximately 7:40 p.m. The left lane remains closed for crash reconstruction. Twitter Google+ IndianaLocalNews WhatsApp By Jon Zimney – October 9, 2020 0 481 Previous articlePlot to kidnap Gov. Whitmer thwarted by the FBINext articleMan could face amended charges after beating victim dies Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Pinterest Facebook Pinterest Facebook Twitterlast_img read more