Northern Ireland have called up Cliftonville’s Liam Boyce and Accrington’s James Gray for their forthcoming South American tour. The 23-year-old was capped under previous boss Nigel Worthington at a time when he was contracted to Werder Bremen, but now becomes the only Irish League player in O’Neill’s 23-man squad. Boyce has been prolific for Cliftonville since returning to Belfast from Germany, helping the Reds to successive league titles and catching O’Neill’s eye in the process. Northern Ireland are sure to face two tough matches in South America, with first-choice players including Jonny Evans, Gareth McAuley, Chris Brunt and Kyle Lafferty all unavailable. The strike duo have been added to Michael O’Neill’s squad for the games against Uruguay on May 30 and Chile on June 4 after the withdrawals of fellow forwards Martin Paterson and Jamie Ward earlier this week. Gray, a regular in the Under-21 set-up, and wins a first call-up to the senior set-up while Boyce returns following a three-year absence. Press Association
…4 homelessFour persons are now homeless after an afternoon fire flattened their Lot 63 Phase One, Good Hope Housing Scheme, East Coast Demerara, home.The blaze started at about 14:00h on Saturday. At the time, an elderly man who lives in the house with his son, daughter-in-law and 11-month-old grandchild were at home alone.Guyana Times understands that the elderly man stays in the back section of the wooden house and it was there that the fire started.When this newspaper visited the scene, the fire was already extinguished and none of the occupants of the destroyed house was there. Neighbours said they had gone to the Police Station.The Good Hope, ECD house that was raised by fire on SaturdayNevertheless, Guyana Times was told that neighbours noticed the blaze and subsequently saw the elderly man running out of the building. The Fire Service was summoned and arrived promptly, thus they were able to put out the fire.This is the fourth fire for the week. On Friday, two families were rendered homeless in two separate fires in Georgetown. A fire suspected to have been caused by a faulty electrical connection broke out at the Lot 6 Company Park, Yarrow Dam, West Ruimveldt, Georgetown leaving 65-year-old Hermon Norton and his, wife Geeta Norton, 63, without a roof over their heads.Meanwhile, a family of three of Lot 35 West La Penitence, Georgetown, lost everything in a fire suspected to be as a result of arson.Additionally, on Tuesday last, over two dozen persons were left homeless after an early morning fire ripped through three houses in Pike Street, Kitty, Georgetown, flattening them and partly destroying a fourth.