SAN FRANCISCO – The Bush administration urged a federal appeals court here Thursday to overturn a judge’s decision nullifying a congressional ban on a type of late-term abortion. The arguments came weeks after the administration asked the Supreme Court, with newly installed Chief Justice John Roberts, to review an identical case in which a Nebraska judge and another federal appeals court had nullified the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act. A third case on the same topic is pending a decision before a New York federal appeals court. The cases could thrust the high court into the abortion debate as Congress and the public are mulling President George W. Bush’s nomination of Harriet Miers to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. At issue in all three appeals is a procedure carried out in the second trimester that is banned by Congress even though doctors claim it is safer than those allowed under the 2003 abortion law. The law never went into force as judges in San Francisco, Nebraska and New York said it was unconstitutional for a variety of reasons, including that it limited a women’s right to choose. Whether partial-birth abortion is ever medically necessary was at the center of the debate because the Supreme Court struck down Nebraska’s partial-birth abortion law in 2000 because it did not include an exception to preserve a woman’s life or health. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week The law allows a doctor to “disarticulate” or cut up the fetus before it is removed from the woman. In the banned procedure, the living fetus is partially removed from the womb, and its skull is punctured or crushed. The government argued to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that Congress found the procedure never is medically necessary, and therefore a woman’s options for an abortion are not limited. Judge Sidney Thomas wondered whether Congress’ “findings matter at all” given the conflicting testimony of doctors in the lower courts. Judge William Fletcher said a doctor may end up performing the banned method during an abortion “in order to do it properly” and “for the health of the woman.” In response, Gregory Katsas, assistant United States attorney, said “there are medical arguments on both sides.” But he added that the judiciary should defer to “congressional findings” that the banned procedure is not medically necessary. Planned Parenthood Federation of America attorney Eve Gartner argued that if the act was reinstated, it would have a “significant chilling effect” on doctors, who might stop doing abortions.
(CLICK HERE, if you are unable to view this photo gallery on your mobile device.)Several notable Bay Area residents passed away in 2018. They come from all corners of the region and all walks of life. The one thing they all have in common is the legacy they leave behind. Here are their stories.Leon Fox, Jan. 4: The longtime judge presided over cases in Santa Clara County Superior Court for decades. He was 77.Priscilla Elder, Jan. 7: The onetime “Rosie” who worked at the Kaiser shipyards …
19 June 2013 French telecommunications operator Orange and South Africa’s Nashua Mobile have signed an agreement to expand the firm’s South African footprint by opening several local retail outlets. Orange entered the South African market in January when it launched an e-commerce store and online portal. The new agreement will extend Orange’s reach to a fully-fledged in-store service throughout the country, with support for inbound and outbound travellers. “This is another world first for Orange in which South Africa is the first market where this is being implemented,” Orange Horizons chief executive officer, Sebastien Crozier, said in a statement last week. “Orange Horizons, Orange’s subsidiary for seeking out new business opportunities in countries where the group is not already present as a mass-market telecommunications provider, target South Africa as a key entry market in the African space and [the agreement] is an important step forward in our overall development strategy.” The “Mobicarte Holiday” package, for instance, offers a prepaid SIM card valid for 14 days after activation and includes two hours of phone calls and 300 SMS to any destination in the world. It also includes 500-megabytes of mobile data and unlimited access to 30 000 WiFi hotspots in France and to GPS navigation systems, Orange Maps. SAinfo reporter The first Nashua Mobile stores with Orange products and brand presence are Sandton City in Johannesburg, Brooklyn Mall in Pretoria and the Icon Centre and Canal Walk in Cape Town; the products will also all be available through the online store.‘Showcasing continued expansion’ “This partnership showcases the continued expansion of both companies and offers local and international companies greater choice and service,” said Nashua Mobile CEO Mark Taylor. Services include both the online and physical stores offering SIM cards from the Orange footprint, beginning with France and Botswana, for professionals and tourists travelling to countries that Orange already operates in. Nashua Mobile stores will also offer services to Orange customers in South Africa, such as SIM card replacement and the activation of international services, again starting with customers from Botswana and France. “Nashua Mobile offers a large network of some 150 selling partners strategically placed across South Africa, as well as an exceptionally strong brand presence and customer loyalty thanks to their quality of service and expert product knowledge,” Crozier said. “Orange already offers to its roaming customers great deals across its entire footprint, but we will now be able to offer services in a physical space for French and Botswana customers visiting South Africa, where the group is not present as an operator. “In addition, South Africans will be able to better prepare their trips abroad by subscribing to services offered by Orange France or Orange Botswana before they have even left home,” he said.
5 December 2014South Africa’s Acting President Cyril Ramaphosa has called on South Africans to honour the memory of former late President Nelson Mandela on Friday.“On 5 December 2013, we lost the father of the nation, one of the most revered leaders our country has ever produced, Nelson Mandela,” Ramaphosa said, on behalf of President Jacob Zuma who is currently in China on a state visit.He encouraged the country to observe a moment of silence at 10am until 10.03am, when South Africans everywhere are asked to sing the national anthem.To call the country to attention, churches, mosques, temples, factories, schools and motorists are asked to ring their bells, sirens, hoot and use loud hailers at 3 minutes and 7 seconds to 10am (09:56:53).This would make the time from the signal to the end of the three minutes of silence exactly 6 minutes and 7 seconds – symbolising the 67 years Mandela gave to the cause of freedom.Read more on Media Club South Africa: How to remember Nelson Mandela on 5 December“South Africans are urged to wear their favourite Mandela t-shirt, shirt or other memorabilia on December 5 in his remembrance,” the Presidency said.All of those on social media are asked to use #RememberMandela to share their memories of Nelson Mandela.“In his memory we draw strength and comfort from the love, support and unity he bequeathed to the people of South Africa, Africa and the world. We are stronger and more united by the legacy he left us,” Ramaphosa said.“Let us all keep Nelson Mandela’s legacy alive by living his values in every aspect of our own lives – unflinching sacrifice in the humble service of all of humanity. All South Africans are urged to play their part in moving South Africa forward as part of efforts to build a better South Africa, in a better Africa, in a better world, and in memory of this icon of our people, Nelson Mandela.”There will be a wreath-laying ceremony attended by veterans of the struggle, including Madiba’s life-long friend and confidant Ahmed Kathrada, at the Mandela statue on the Union Buildings lawns at 8am on Friday.Source: SAnews.gov
The 21-year-old is currently behind Shixian Wang and Yihan Wang at one and two respectively.Riding on her Swiss Open triumph, ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has regained the number three spot in the latest world rankings.Saina, who missed a couple of tournaments early in the year because of a nagging ligament injury and then suffered early exits from the Korean Open and the All England Championships, notched up her first title of the season in Switzerland last week.The 21-year-old now has 69721.2637 points in her kitty and is currently behind Shixian Wang (83506.4) and Yihan Wang (73988.9106) at one and two respectively.The Swiss Open title was her third Grand Prix Gold title win after Chinese Taipei (2008) and the Indian Open (2010).The girl from Hyderabad also won four Super Series finals in Indonesia (twice), Singapore and Hong Kong over the last two years.In men’s singles, Commonwealth Games bronze medallist P Kashyap was at the 21st place with 38415.2559 points, while Ajay Jayaram moved to 28th. Anand Pawar and Arvind Bhat are at 42nd and 45th spot respectively.Commonwealth Games gold medal-winning women’s doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa dropped one place to 19th spot, while Jwala and V Diju slipped two spots to 18th in mixed doubles.In men’s doubles, Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas jumped seven places to be placed just outside the top 20 bracket at 21st place.
Kim Cattrall Kim Cattrall is to star in a British comedy series alongside two of the stars of Ricky Gervais’ After Life. The Sex and the City star, who is also fronting Fox’s soapy drama Filthy Rich, is starring in three-part series The Cockfields for UKTV’s Gold channel.The series stars Joe Wilkinson and Diane Morgan, who both featured in Gervais’ Netflix comedy, and it is written by Wilkinson and David Ear. The Royale Family’s Sue Johnston, Chariots of Fire’s Nigel Havers and Not Going Out’s Bobby Ball.The Cockfields is produced by Yellow Door Productions, the production company set up by former Sky comedy chief Lucy Lumsden. Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Advertisement Login/Register With: Advertisement Twitter