Map recording threats to journalists in Europe relaunches and expands to Russia, Ukraine and Belarus

first_img Europe – Central Asia Receive email alerts Organisation Index on Censorship, the European Federation of Journalists and Reporters Without Borders are delighted to announce the expansion and redesign of Mapping Media Freedom, which records threats to journalists across Europe, and which will now also cover Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.First launched in May 2014, the map documents media freedom violations throughout the European Union and neighbouring countries including the Balkans and Turkey.More than 700 reports were logged on the map in its first year, lifting the lid on the everyday threats to media freedom that have previously gone largely unreported or undocumented.“Mapping Media Freedom has highlighted the kinds of threats faced by media organisations and their staff everyday throughout Europe — from low-level intimidation to threats of violence, imprisonment, and even murder. Having a detailed database of these incidents – most of which previously went unreported — helps us and others to take action against the culprits,” said Index on Censorship CEO Jodie Ginsberg.The relaunched online platform will make it easier for policy makers and activists to identify trends in media freedom and to respond efficiently with immediate assistance or to campaign on specific issues. It also provides support such as legal advice and digital security training to journalists at risk. Anyone can submit their own reports to the site for verification by project officers.“At a time when freedom of information is facing threats not seen since the times of the Soviet Union, supporting journalists and bloggers is crucial. While part of the continent is sinking in an authoritarian drift, online surveillance has become a common challenge”, said RSF Programme Director Lucie Morillon.Following renewed funding from the European Commission earlier this year, the crowd-sourced map incorporates new features including country filters and an improved search facility. The project also aims to forge new alliances among journalists across the continent, especially young media practitioners who will find useful resources and in depth coverage on a dedicated “Free Our Media!” page.In reaction to new draconian measures and violence in the region, the new design coincides with an expansion into Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. All new reports from this area will be available in English and the regional language.“The enlargement of the monitoring process to Ukraine, Russia and Belarus is good news for journalists and media workers in the region. Journalists are usually at the heart of violent demonstrations, clashes and armed conflicts where they may be shot, assaulted, kidnapped, arrested, abused and killed. They are facing difficult professional challenges between extremists or propaganda agents. Thanks to its affiliates, the EFJ will continue to document all media violations and raise awareness to end impunity when violations occur”, said Mogens Blicher Bjerregård, EFJ President.Partners, country correspondents and affiliates to the project — including Human Rights House Ukraine, Media Legal Defence Initiative and European Youth Press — will work together to ensure the growing threats to media freedom in the region are highlighted, and tackled.For further information please contact Hannah Machlin, project officer, [email protected], +44 (0)207 260 2671 to go further Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says June 8, 2021 Find out more News June 4, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Europe – Central Asia September 11, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Map recording threats to journalists in Europe relaunches and expands to Russia, Ukraine and Belaruscenter_img News Help by sharing this information Europe – Central Asia RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says June 7, 2021 Find out more News RSF_en Newslast_img read more

Public call for grants to TOP events in 2020 announced.

first_imgFind out more about the public call in the attachment. “We announced a public call for support for TOP events in 2020 already in December this year, with the aim of leaving all interested parties enough time for quality project preparation and application. I am sure that this time we will receive a large number of applications, which will be an additional confirmation of the continuous development and improvement of the overall Croatian tourist offer with an emphasis on events as one of the main motives for coming to the destination.” stated the director of the CNTB Kristjan Staničić, adding that investments in facilities and infrastructure are a basic precondition for positioning Croatia as an attractive year-round destination. Legal and natural persons, ie companies, crafts, cooperatives, public institutions, cultural institutions, artistic organizations, local and regional self-government units and tourist boards may apply for the public invitation. The approved funds are intended for the costs of organizing events, such as rental of equipment, space and means of transport, procurement of materials, accommodation costs, contractor fees, promotional and other organizational activities.  Grants are approved for the organization and realization of cultural, entertainment, eno-gastronomic, historical and traditional events that have been held at least twice in the last five years and have a strong promotional effect in the country and abroad. Also, the Tourist Board of the CNTB may exceptionally decide to support the event that is being held for the first time, and it is expected that it will greatly enrich the tourist offer of the destination. According to the CNTB, all nominated events will be evaluated through criteria such as importance for creating the motive for the arrival of guests, importance for the development of destination tourist offer and promotion of Croatia abroad, the nature of the event, content and quality, period and media advertising plan. . The Croatian National Tourist Board has announced a public call for support for TOP events, through which grants will be awarded in 2020 to TOP events in Croatia, which are the main motive for tourists to come to the destination.  The call was issued with the aim of promoting Croatia as a tourist destination, strengthening the strength of the brand and creating a recognizable image of Croatian tourism, as well as product improvement and content development that extend the tourist season and increase traffic, especially in the pre- and postseason. Attachment: PUBLIC INVITATION to support TOP events in 2020last_img read more