Quiz show captain rusticated

first_imgTHE CAPTAIN of Magdalen’s University Challenge team has been rusticated for a year due to poor academic performance.Second year history student Jon Wright hopes to continue as captain despite being sent down, but has yet to hear from College authorities whether he will be allowed to continue in the role.Wright said he would oppose any College attempts to remove him from the team. “I haven’t heard anything at all from College: this is only rustication, I’m still a student. We don’t really have anyone who could take my place on the team, so if College do have a problem with me carrying on I’ll be vigorously opposing that,” he said. Magdalen have already won through the first round, beating Liverpool 185 to 100, and have filmed their next match against Birmingham, but due to contractual agreements Wright was unable to reveal the result as the programme has not yet aired. Magdalen have previously won the competition three times before in 1997, 1998 and 2004.He was “quietly confident” that the team had a good chance of doing well in the competition, but stopped short of predicting victory. “We don’t expect to win, but given the right opponents and right questions we could have a chance of winning,” he said. Magdalen’s Junior Dean, Dr Robert Douglas-Fairhurst, refused to comment on whether Wright would be allowed to continue as University Challenge captain, saying he would have to wait until the matter was dealt with internally.”As its in an internal disciplinary matter we can’t make any comment. Jon is of course allowed to think what he wants, but we won’t make any comment until it has been dealt with by the College authorities. It’s the sort of thing we would have to discuss internally and with Jon before we make anything public,” he said.According to Wright, he was rusticated for a year by the College due to poor academic work. “It was purely for academic reasons, just because I didn’t work hard enough, so they suggested I take a year off and regain my focus which I am now doing. I hope to get a job to give myself some structure and then work towards my penal collections at the end of Trinity Term.”last_img read more

5 useful tips to protect your financial institution from cyber attacks

first_imgEveryone knows that fraud, in all its forms, is expensive. According to the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, the typical organization loses 5% of its revenue any given year to fraud. Assuming you don’t want to hand over 5% of your financial institution’s revenue to fraudsters each year, here are some tips to tighten your electronic controls and prevent cyber attacks, which affect the majority of companies on a daily or weekly basis.1. Ensure all computers are running the most up-to-date operating system, web browser, and softwareEvery time a software manufacturer releases a new version, it will include fixes and updates that “plug holes” and prevent hackers from accessing your systems. Be sure to update all your systems and software to the latest versions whenever available, and install patches regularly. Just one outdated computer provides a criminal with easy access to your institution’s and members’ records, files, and financial information. continue reading » 11SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

BMKG warns of extreme weather during transition to rainy season

first_imgThe Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) has called on the public to prepare for extreme weather and possible natural disasters as many parts of the country shift to the rainy season.BMKG weather forecasting department head Miming Saepudin said several regions would likely see heavy rain and thunderstorms in September.”Heavy rainfall is predicted in the north of Sumatra, especially along the west to north coastal area,” Miming said on Monday, as reported by tempo.co. He said heavy downpours were also expected in the northern part of Central Kalimantan, parts of West Kalimantan, as well as the northern parts of Sulawesi, Maluku, North Maluku and Papua.Miming noted that several other regions could experience droughts in September, even though the peak of the dry season had passed in August.”The regions that need to stay alert for potential droughts are East Java, Madura and parts of Bali, most of West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) and East Nusa Tenggara (NTT),” Miming said.”Based on our current data, these regions will not see rain for quite some time,” he added.About 85 percent of the country, he said, remained in the dry season, while the remaining 15 percent had begun to enter the rainy season.”From September to November, we have to stay alert for extreme weather, such as tornadoes, heavy downpours and thunderstorms because these occur more frequently during the transition to the rainy season,” Miming said. (nal)Topics :last_img read more